"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Feminism 101

Jeff recently posted a link to a list of suggestions for male (pro-)feminists in standard feminist communities.

They echoed sentiments I've seen in many feminist communities--first, that there is a need for spaces devoted mainly to women, and second, that it is not a feminist blogger's responsibility to teach Feminism 101. Several times, I've seen male readers advised ot employ google to get a handle on basic feminist concepts.

This is, of course, perfectly true: we *do* need spaces for women, and it *isn't* every individual woman's responsibility to explain feminism. But it occurred to me that, although we have Feminist Allies as a space for feminist men, what I haven't seen yet is that online course in feminism 101.

Google exists, of course, but I get the feeling that finding reliable information on feminist theory online might not be the easiest thing in the world. I certainly wouldn't trust wikipedia, for example.

So I'm wondering: does anyone know of a good online introduction to academic feminism? If not, would it be possible to assemble one?

No comments: