"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Preparing for College

I'm back from Christmas heaven and application hell, for the time being, and anxious to get back to blogging-- If only I knew what to blog about.

So, I'll just blog on what I'm already thinking about: College.

Specifically, the fact that that is where I will soon be.

College means new opportunities. I'm not sure which excites me more: the classes I can take or the chance to move out of the house. But there's at least one other crucial opportunity I'll have: a chance to re-invent myself.

You see, although I love my homeschool community, I can't deny that it's a small one. We get about fifty kids, generally, for our biggest dance. That means everyone knows everyone and, usually, has known them for years.

College will be my first chance in a long time to be judged by my behavior, not my history. So I've been inspired to try for some self-improvement before I go. College will also be my first prolonged immersion in anything resembling mainstream culture, and the first social circle I'll enter as an identified feminist.

Since I'm lacking in insight today, I'm going use my signature cop-out, and poll the audience: do any of you readers out there have advice for a young man going off to school? I'm looking primarily for advice relating to gender and/or politics, but practical pointers wouldn't be unhelpful either.

No comments: