"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Friday, November 30, 2007

16 Days, Day 6 -- Men Doing Feminist Work: A Call to Men

In the spirit of 16 Days of Action Against Gender Violence, this week's Men Doing Feminist Work focuses on a group of men doing work on men's violence against women. I discovered this group because of Melissa over at Shakesville. She's got their great 10 Things Men Can Do To End Men's Violence Against Women list up over there (which she got via Kevin, who got it via Donna Darko), but the site is full of other good information as well, like this list of places to get statistics about men's violence against women.

In addition to all of that, they have a freakin' Hip Hop CD. (Sure, it's done with what is -- to me, the atheist that I am -- a creepy "Christian" slant, but the world needs more socially conscious music in general, so I'm not complaining.)

Go check 'em out.

2 comments:

Hugo Schwyzer said...

Jeff, I'm thrilled you're doing this series on men and gender violence.

Much needed, even if I can embrace both the "creepy Christian slant" and the wisdom of Robert Jensen where you can't! ;-)

Jeff Pollet said...

I wish I had more time. I'd love to throw in with some words about Jensen, but other things seems to be taking priority!

At some point we need to reengage about the intersections of Christianity and feminism, too. Lots of large cans of worms.

Thanks for stopping by. Always nice to have the A-listers say hello.