"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A (New) New Voice

Hello, everyone. I’m Malachi. I ended up on this blog through pure serendipity: I was thinking of starting a blog of my own when I stumbled across this blog’s request for contributors.

I’m far from an expert on feminism. In fact, I’ve only identified feminist for the past couple of months, although I give myself credit for fighting the patriarchy unconsciously long before I was introduced to feminist theory when I stumbled across Pandagon.

Thus, I’m not going to be writing as a lecturer dispensing wisdom, but more keeping a journal of a man attempting to live a feminist lifestyle. In fact, I expect to ask for advice more often than give it.

In the style of Dave, a random fact sheet:

· I’m a 16-year-old heterosexual white guy. Not the stuff of which feminists are traditionally made but I shall try.
· I am home schooled, and always have been
· I’m an east coast American.
· Most of my friends are female, but few identify as feminists
· I never conformed well to gender roles, or expected others to.
· My mother’s radfem friend tried to explain all this to me years ago, but girls in my homeschool group are treated well enough that I didn’t quite get it. Even so, I can see that we have a long way to go.

Anyway, more to come, I suppose. Ja, mata.

No comments: