"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Friday, April 13, 2007

Mama's Boy: Accidentally Raised as a Feminist Man, part III

This is the last of a series of three installments of posts describing some of my own development as a feminist. You can find the first two posts here and here. This piece was originally written as a submission for Shira Tarrant's upcoming book, Men Speak Out: ProFeminist Views on Gender, Sex and Power (which will be published by Routledge in November, 2007). Last time I talked about some of the ways in which my larger economic situation affected my upbringing, my mother, and my feminism. This time I'll talk a bit about a big part of what feminism means to me: Not letting people be bullies.

Fighting the Bullies
A big part of feminism in my life also centers around issues that are deeply entrenched in gender, but aren't only applicable to gender. My mother taught me to have little tolerance toward bullies, and she often did this by standing up to sexist men, who are at least one type of bully, in my mind. In 6th grade, I had a teacher who also happened to be a golf player. My mom played golf, and after a parent-student meeting where they discovered they both did this, they made plans to golf together. Turns out this guy (one of the few teachers in my childhood that I really didn't have much respect for, even before the following incident) was something of a rampant sexist, and it came out pretty conclusively as my mother proceeded to whip his ass in a golf game. He talked about women's beginner's luck (she wasn't a beginner), about how she got to hit from the women's tees (until he said that and she started hitting from the men's tees, still whupping him), and how it was wrong for a woman to be raising a son alone. This aside from the fact that her son, his student, was a straight-A student. One day on the golf course, when he said something particularly antagonistically sexist, she walked up, slapped him, and walked off the course.

It took a lot for me to get out of my mother that she had slapped him. But I could tell something happened immediately upon the next day of class. I didn't get called on, for instance. He was colder to me than he had been. Being my mother's son, I confronted him about it, after class one day. He denied that anything had gone wrong, and his enthusiasm of denial caused me anxiously await my mother's return home from work that evening, where I finally got it out of her what had happened. The next day, my teacher continued to treat me not-so-well, though, being a model student (and, at the time, I thought, smarter than him), there wasn't a whole lot he could do. One day, he left the classroom to make a phone call (this in the days before cell phones; he also had to avoid being eaten by dinosaurs), something he wasn't really allowed to do. The class responded slowly to his absence, but decisively. People began to throw a big red foursquare ball around. I didn't participate--I was enough of a schoolboy (mama's boy?) that I though such things were wrong. But at some point, the ball came to me, and I held onto it. A good friend of mine tried to take it from me, we wrestled with it, and I ended up tripping and pushing him through a window. All play stopped at that point--though he was just fine, miraculously not harmed at all. The teacher returned, and began yelling at me, as if I was some sort of ringleader, dragged me outside and began threatening to take me to the principal's office.

I wasn't used to being yelled at by teachers, and I responded with a zeal that I now attribute to my mother's example of fighting bullies: I told him that he should go to the office right then, right at that moment, and I'd explain to the principal how he had left the class alone for 15 minutes, and that somebody had almost gotten very, very hurt. I could feel that he was trying to bully me, and I responded in the way that my mother had implicitly taught me: I wasn't going to stand there and take it. He backed down, of course, just as he had backed down to my mother when she stood up for herself. And my mother's example of standing up to a sexist bully still helps me to stand up against bullies today, sexist and otherwise--though I tend to find the sexist ones most often, it seems.

Irony
The irony, as I've mentioned, is that my mother doesn't consider herself a feminist. I think she thinks about feminism in the ways that a lot of people do--the "feminist backlash" has been a relatively successful oversimplification of the various strands of feminism, to some degree. Those who haven't heard of or read any feminist thinking that has been done post-second wave are really missing out, and my mother is among those people. She doesn't know about the intersectionality of oppressions, doesn't get that the fluidity of identity can free us from some of the rigid gender roles that we have created; she dislikes the term 'feminist' because she thinks it means something that it no longer means, something that it really never meant at all. And that's fine with me. I'll take up the mantle. I'll learn more about feminist theory, but I'll also do my best to live my life as a feminist, like my mother taught me--whether she wanted to teach me that or not. And I'll always remember that the little lego broom is for everybody.

14 comments:

Sassywho said...

I've really enjoyed this series, even if I haven't commented before now.

You know, it is a shame how many women are put off by the word "feminist", and the backlash associated with it. Reminds me of when James Brown came out with the song "I'm Black and I'm Proud", which was met with resistance yet became a strong anthem for the civil rights movement.

The backlash is the reason I believe movements like the feminist movement comes in waves, most people want to move on after a victory. Legislation gives the false sense of equality until a few more generations later it is clear that is not the case.

Unfortunately as seen recently, women and men's apathy in regard to feminism has caused a significant loss in the freedoms that were won.

Reproductive freedom is the most obvious of them all, since Roe vs. Wade the slow chipping with legislation has effectively placed the wedge in that very freedom.

Jeff Pollet said...

Thanks for the comment, Sassywho. The whole issue of a backlash against feminism seems unbelievably complex to me--there are social, emotional (and other psychological), class reasons for it, and smarter, more well-read people than I could probably explain it better than I ever could. I still find the irony that my mom doesn't identify as feminist a bittersweet sort of thing.

Sassywho said...

i've been meaning to write a post on this for some time. my mother doesn't either, and i've given a lot of thought to why. she was a little too young in the 60's to be too involved in the movement, but benefited from it in the 70's and so forth with her exceptional career and success.

I think the answer for this is simple/complicated. academia, while not much, is traditionally more progressive than general population or corporate atmosphere. so much of the 60's and 70's was college age/academia individuals who called themselves feminists. not to take away from the women who were working in corporate/labor positions, but it was clear in most of those areas that if you wanted to succeed you do the best you can and keep your mouth shut. which is unfortunate to me when people use that as example as a noble thing. which is what disturbs me the most about it, the nobility rises from the sexist notion of women being martyr's and selfless. when in fact in essence it was selfish, which in my opinion is a good thing and debunks that silly notion of women needing to lose themselves to gain.

again, this is not to take away from who they were or their success, only societies reactions to it. i've been hesitant to write about this because i am extremely proud of my mother who has achieved a level of success that is still somewhat rare these days. For what it's worth, she was a single mother and climbed the ladder while I was growing up, and too many people thought she was selfish for being so involved in her career. she is an amazing mother, and honestly i'm so glad she did act selfishly because today i see how fulfilled she is

geo said...

I think the backlash against feminism is part of a larger backlash against perceptions of the "liberal 1960's" - which was a gross exaggeration in the first place.

The biggest victims of the backlash are probably Poor People of Color. Jonathan Kozol and others write eloquently about the poor-minority- inner city schools - "apartheid" is a word he uses.

In general in recent years and decades society as a whole has moved way to the right in many ways where we blame victims and potential victims often.

The polarization - on Iraq and many other issues ties in with a backlash against feminism.

I also think that feminism out of the 1970's and 1980s - seemed to splinter - with a push towards "career women" (upper-middle class White Women) as well as pushes in support of Lesbians. Often there has been ignoring of the wonderful work done by Poor, Minority Women.

There are plenty of issues there for all of us - whether men's/women's issues or Racism, or economic issues, etc.

Thanks!

Sassywho said...

thats a very good point geo. it's been interesting to see feminism awaken to it's own bias. which is the so-called 3rd wave.

although i'm still a little shocked that quite a few people in our society equate my feminism with being a lesbian... even though i am not i certainly support lgbt issues and rights and embrace that as part of feminism and civil rights as a whole just the same as race/class poverty issues. something i like to call humanity.

geo said...

Thanks Jeff for a Very Insightful posting!!! (I should have said this in my first response.)

Sassy - I think that other Men may label you as a "lesbian" - trying to put you down and pigeonhole you because of your beliefs.

Separate from this issue of men being obnoxious and ridiculous I think that the Feminist Movement itself has had splits (understandably) which make it harder, adding on to the pressures of Men not being supportive and helpful.

Some Upper-Middle Class White Women are intent upon entering "the old boys' club" and otherwise representing their class interests.

Lesbians have at times had conflicts with Het Feminists as well as sometimes separating themselves in their own communities.

Both of these are understandable!

Much of the useful feminist work has come from Women of Color and particularly working class women.

Sometimes these women have not gotten the support of Other Feminist Women. This can make things particularly harder when one considers the Opposition of Men in general, as well as the oppressiveness of Racism and Classism upon these Women.

None of this should detract from the ultimate difficulties Feminism faces - Us Men!!!!

Thanks!

tigtog said...

Jeff, great post.

As a distillation of feminism, the idea of it being about rejecting bullying - all bullying but especially the patriarchal traditions of sexist bullying - is a fascinating idea worth more exploration.

Jeff Pollet said...

Thanks geo and tigtog, for your kind words.

Yeah, I frame lots of the kinds of feminisms that resonate for me in terms of standing-up-to-bullying. There are times when this verges on making light of oppression, which I have to be careful of, but mostly I think most negative "-isms" can be seen as a form of bullying.

At your suggestion, perhaps I'll work more on why...

Anonymous said...

Funny thing is I was raised by a prototypical feminist mother. What a joy it was (please note intending sarcasm). Anyway I ended up a traditional man's man. The way I see it, we end up either like the poster, a angry young man, angry at other angry men, or like Hemingway. Hemingway had a domineering mother, as did Bogart. I remember my mother would not let me even join the boy scouts, because they were pro-military.

Jeff Pollet said...

@Anonymous:
Would a so-called traditionally masculine man comment anonymously? I wonder. :)

So, if you're seriously using Hemingway as a role model regarding being a "man's man", then it's likely our viewpoints are so disparate so as to be alien to each other.

PS: Your mom was right about the boy scouts, but seeing as you revere Hemingway, a likely in-the-closet-gay-man-and-also-homophobic-guy, you'll probably not agree with me about the homophobic boy scouts...

Anonymous said...

I commented anonymously for two reasons, one I was too lazy to use my word press link. Two, I am intending to transfer to a different college, sadly most of the the great ones are left of center.

I said like Hemingway, or Bogart, merely given as examples. Yes I know of his impotence, possible homosexuality etc... My point is, that being raised by such a person can make you go to one extreme to the other. I mean there is a point to where political correctness is too much. So what if gays are not allowed in the boy-scouts, should that mean I shouldn't be (too me this is wholly symbolic of the feminist view of over politicization).

There is this sense of everything being made out as more important that it is. As for us having view points so alien, maybe that is the case, I have no problem having a reasonable online discussion on the matter.

I am sure there are many things we can both agree on.

1 One of the most cowardly act is any form of violence against women.

2. People who do the same job, should have equal pay.

3. Women ought to have the right to choose.

4. Sexual harassment in the work place is wrong.

5. Women should be allowed to serve in direct action in the military. I support don't ask don't tell, because it works, otherwise moral might be compromised.

If I were to be asked, who I consider my personal role model, I would have to say Theodore Roosevelt.

If I were to be married, would I personally feel comfortable with my wife having a job, no. I also know I'm not husband material, ask anyone who vaguely knows me, you'll get the same answer. Am I sexist, probably. Are there differences among genders, and gender roles, yes there are. I always enjoyed traditionally male things, fishing, camping, sports, I always had a bad temper and was competitive. If someone insults me, will I get in a fist fight with them yes. Do I enjoy hard drinking, do I like putting myself in unsafe situations, yes to all of the above.

Do I believe the woman can be effective leaders, and here is were the feminist get pissed of. Yes, but only if they lead like men. Also while I am the moment pro-abortion (I despise the loaded terms, pro-choice and pro-life equally) it is a point I waver on. I think I cannot support an abortion if the fetus is viable in anyway outside the womb (would survive as premature), that to me is murder. Anything besides that I say go ahead.

As for women in non-traditional careers, my belief is if you can do the job, than you can do the job. If you can't, you can't. Do I support women going to college, grad school, yes.

I do take blame for the brevity of my last post creating the misunderstanding you seem to have had. Hope this makes my beliefs more clear.

Anonymous said...

Also I never said "revere", funny that you put it in there. I have done that too, were you read something, eager to argue, and see a word that is not there.

Also if a woman beat me at sports, I would most likely be a sore loser about it, although that guy took it to far. Do I respect people who stay within their gender roles, yes and no. I have what you might call, a disagreeable respect for women who don't. I have many friends, some I agree with almost everything.

Others I agree about nothing, I have female friends, who would fit the bill of not at all being typical women. Again, while I disagree with it as I choice, I respect their gumption. One friend I had, I am no longer friends with, because he was overly sexist, I mean to an insane degree, and if you ask me he was incredibly insecure and a might bit creepy.

What irks me about some forms of feminism. Is that there is at points an attack on masculinity, which comes equally from your Betty Fredans and Alan Aldas. Not to say that they aren't some feminist theorists that I agree with Mary Wollenscraft, some of Magret Sanger.

What I have trouble supporting the the 1960s and after (second wave, third wave etc...) This is the enrage bra burning feminist, the ill mannered woman. The one who does a head count of coprate heads, uses phrases such as testorine posioning.

Anonymous said...

Also the back lash occured becuase of class diffrence. Mainly that most who were at the beginging, were WASPy wealthy women. I suppose my grand mother would qualify. It can be traces to a sort of proto feminist strain in English cultrle. Names run matrilinear, and partilinear (you take the better name). Also there is a longer history of women owning buisness, being single, remarrying etc. My great grand mother for example had owned sever businesses, real estate etc... She was college educated.

Lower classes and minority women felt they were out of touch with issues that they had to deal with. That these wealthy white women were complaining, and that they had real issues, besides what they perceived as insugnificant. Also many of these women, came from backgrounds, were they had to work to support their children, so to them, people saying the wanted to work and protesting about it, seemed very pretentious.

I try to not to make an opinion until I at least have a competent hold on what I am talking about.

Anonymous said...

Also the back lash occured becuase of class diffrence. Mainly that most who were at the beginging, were WASPy wealthy women. I suppose my grand mother would qualify. It can be traces to a sort of proto feminist strain in English cultrle. Names run matrilinear, and partilinear (you take the better name). Also there is a longer history of women owning buisness, being single, remarrying etc. My great grand mother for example had owned sever businesses, real estate etc... She was college educated.

Lower classes and minority women felt they were out of touch with issues that they had to deal with. That these wealthy white women were complaining, and that they had real issues, besides what they perceived as insugnificant. Also many of these women, came from backgrounds, were they had to work to support their children, so to them, people saying the wanted to work and protesting about it, seemed very pretentious.

I try to not to make an opinion until I at least have a competent hold on what I am talking about.
(Sorry about accidental double comment)