"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Apologies...

...as is traditional with much blogging, I apologize for the lack of posts for the last four days or so. Probably the thing to do is to chalk it up to being sick or busy, but I think I've become a bit burned out. Posting about the 16 Days of Action Against Gender Violence had something to do with it, the holidays and winter weather have had an effect on my mood, and then, one night, reading that somebody considers me a borderline anti-Semite because of some of my thoughts on atheism and feminism just drove me over the line, I suppose. It's possible I'm not thick-skinned enough to write about religion and feminism at the same time! Also, wanting to take a few days off of posting and realizing that what I had really wanted at one point was a groupblog, reminded me of the failure to accomplish that (so far), which added to my burnout.

It's also possible that I'm just going through a rough patch emotionally, and at another time of the year, I wouldn't have been so affected by things. So I may be posting a bit less in the coming weeks. I tend to like blogs which not only deal with particular issues/ideas, but also give you a glimpse into the lives of the writers. I know this isn't for everybody, but it's what I like, so I thought I'd let y'all know the reason for the lack of posting.

7 comments:

Melissa McEwan said...

In good news, you did get the inaugural Shakesville Silver Teaspoon for Random Acts of Feminism, though. :-)

Jeff Pollet said...

Thank you Melissa. I do indeed feel honored, and that brightens my day. It's funny that my funk started Thursday night, and I disconnected from the internets in the interest of my own sanity, but managed to miss my own award!

Thanks again. I don't believe I've won an inaugural anything before. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear you got so disheartened.

For the record, I didn't find any of your comments to be anti-Semitic.

Deborah Siegel said...

Hi Jeff,
I'm relatively new to your blog but am hooked. Please keep going. I, too, know the feeling of writerly defeat and wrote about it for the first time a few weeks ago on Girl with Pen, when I hit a block in the book proposal I was working on. Even just writing about it normalized it for me--and for others, apparently, who wrote to tell me--so kudos to you for being true. I love your blog and hope to write about it somehow in my next book. Not the same as an inaugural award, but still, just wanted to let you know I think you're the bomb!

Jeff Pollet said...

Thanks Eric, I appreciate you saying that explicitly. I didn't get that feeling from you, by the way--I feel that your comments are the sort that encourage discussion. Not that any of the comments were meant to shut discussion down, really. Some of it was just my mood.

Jeff Pollet said...

deborah--
Thanks for the kind words. I saw you speak a bit ago (at Cody's in Berkeley, I think...?) so it's pretty neato to hear from you on a fanboy level as well. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

16 days of gender violence taxed me too.