"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Thursday, June 08, 2006

A New Voice

Hi, I'm Dave. I was well pleased when Jeff asked me if I'd like to join in on this blog, and so here I am. Like the others here I'm working to reconcile my life-long socialization with my current value set. Like the others here I'm not entirely sure about the value, validity or welcomeness of a male-run feminist site, but like the others here I'll do my damnedest to make it a useful and worthwhile addition (or peripheral) to the feminist community.

Um. Random fact sheet:
  • I don't call myself a feminist.
  • I don't blog enough (but hopefully that's about to change).
  • I dislike religion as a concept.
  • I've only been following feminist blogs and ideas for about two years. Before that I was a patriarchy-embracing asshole.
  • I am canadian.
  • I'm not only male but white and able-bodied and middle-class and mostly heterosexual and not fat, and probably a few more types of privileged that I haven't learned to recognize yet.
So I hope you enjoy my contributions to this blog. I hope I manage to interest you, to piss you off and make you question everything you hold to be true. Hey, you don't have to agree with me (and I love being convinced that I was wrong) but if I can make you think critically about something you've always taken for granted I think I've done a pretty good job.

Speak to you soon,
-D

4 comments:

Jeff Pollet said...

Welcome to the group, Dave.

Perhaps we should start calling this "Maple-leaf Loving Feminist Allies"?

Talk about being the member of oppressive groups, at least yer not an American.

Dave said...

Heh. One of these days someone is going to start a political movement based on "non-american" as an oppressed group.

Jeff Pollet said...

Wow. No joke.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.