Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Big Reveal.

So-- This is the part where I explain why I haven't been blogging, and what I'm going to do about it.

I chose to blog anonymously for a couple of reasons. First, because I occasionally discussed issues and people from real life, and didn't necessarily want them to know. Second, because I wasn't yet ready to announce myself to everyone as a feminist. And, third, because I was afraid that I might later be embarrassed by what I had written. Setting aside ordinary embarrassment, I'm considering becoming a career politician, and wasn't sure how much I wanted "out there." I'm *already* embarrassed by some of my early posts.

More and more, though, I wanted to blog about me -- my hobbies, my interests, my life. And the more I talked, the less secret it became. Almost anyone I knew who found this blog would probably recognize me. And I can't count on anonymity in the other direction. If I were ever to run for president, I'm sure someone would find this blog.

I didn't blog because I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do-- continue as-is, abandon this and blog under my own name, keep two blogs, or what. Ultimately I've decided that I should have the courage of my convictions and be a public feminist. I'm still worried about potential embarrassment, but have to hope that, 20 years in the future, people won't pieces I wrote naively at 16 against me. Regardless, I'm not living my life in fear.

So! I have two announcements:

1: I am no longer going by Malachi. You may now call me Orion. That is, as improbably as it may seem, my actual name. I'm am, as mentioned, a homeschooler form Massachusetts. I will be a freshman at the University of Chicago this fall.

2: Although I will cross-post feminist-relevant content here, I will be moving my day-to-day blogging to a new blog, http://orionsnebula.blogspot.com/

Thank you.
Post a Comment