"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Big Reveal.

So-- This is the part where I explain why I haven't been blogging, and what I'm going to do about it.

I chose to blog anonymously for a couple of reasons. First, because I occasionally discussed issues and people from real life, and didn't necessarily want them to know. Second, because I wasn't yet ready to announce myself to everyone as a feminist. And, third, because I was afraid that I might later be embarrassed by what I had written. Setting aside ordinary embarrassment, I'm considering becoming a career politician, and wasn't sure how much I wanted "out there." I'm *already* embarrassed by some of my early posts.

More and more, though, I wanted to blog about me -- my hobbies, my interests, my life. And the more I talked, the less secret it became. Almost anyone I knew who found this blog would probably recognize me. And I can't count on anonymity in the other direction. If I were ever to run for president, I'm sure someone would find this blog.

I didn't blog because I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do-- continue as-is, abandon this and blog under my own name, keep two blogs, or what. Ultimately I've decided that I should have the courage of my convictions and be a public feminist. I'm still worried about potential embarrassment, but have to hope that, 20 years in the future, people won't pieces I wrote naively at 16 against me. Regardless, I'm not living my life in fear.

So! I have two announcements:

1: I am no longer going by Malachi. You may now call me Orion. That is, as improbably as it may seem, my actual name. I'm am, as mentioned, a homeschooler form Massachusetts. I will be a freshman at the University of Chicago this fall.

2: Although I will cross-post feminist-relevant content here, I will be moving my day-to-day blogging to a new blog, http://orionsnebula.blogspot.com/

Thank you.

2 comments:

Jeff Pollet said...

Geez, I go away for a few days and what do I find upon my return? All hell breaks loose.

I've struggled myself a lot with the anonymity-while-blogging thing. I am glad you feel that it's important enough to be known in the world, and hopefully that brings you some peace of mind.

I'm glad you're not leaving us altogether, though!

Anonymous said...

Seconded - I'm glad to see you posting! (and very interested to see how the new blog unfolds)