"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Monday, August 06, 2007

NOMAS

Hat tip to Cara at The Curvature for cluing me into another great resource for feminist men: The National Organization for Men Against Sexism (or NOMAS). They have a long history, and, from what I've seen, are on top of not only the complexities of being a man who is pro-feminist, but of the intersectionality issues around gender, race, class and the like. (I'm particularly happy with their nuanced take on custody battles.)

Whenever I run into a group like this, I'm appalled at my own ignorance surrounding the fact that lots of men are, in fact, concerned with gender inequalities, violence by men, and feminism.

No comments: