"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Monday, August 20, 2007

Men Speak Out

I'm a little bitter about this, because I submitted something to this anthology which was rejected, but I'm still eagerly awaiting the upcoming book edited by Shira Tarrant, Men Speak Out: Views on Gender, Sex and Power. I think it will likely be worth a pre-order, even without my stuff (which I eventually turned into blog fodder here, here and here).

It seems like we're currently riding a wave of feminist interest in how men fit into feminist movement, which is very nice to see, and makes me hopeful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that a more appropriate and layered question would be "How do Men create a compatible, allied Anti-Patriarchal Movement?"

Jeff Pollet said...

darkdaughta--
Seems to me that the question you put forth, which is a good one, is one question under the umbrella of how men might fit into feminist movement. Are you suggesting that fitting into feminist movement isn't an option, but creating a "compatible, allied Anti-Patriarchal Movement" is?

I think that men need to fight patriarchy--I also think they can do so as feminists. So I suppose that I might disagree that your question is more appropriate than asking how men might be good feminists.

(Also, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the authors of the pieces in the cited book answer just the question you're pointing out needs asking! I hope so, at least.)